Responsibility in investment operations
Our approach to responsible investments
Our fundamental idea is to operate in different investment markets so as to generate the best possible return on funded pension assets in all market conditions at the selected risk level. As a long-term pension insurance company and investor, we believe that a strong approach to the responsibility for our investments, integrated into our investment process, plays an essential role in managing the risks associated with investments. We influence the investments by ourselves or in cooperation with other investors and stakeholders. Ownership steering is also a key part of the responsibility for our investment operations.
The responsibility for investments is assessed on the basis of the ESG aspects: environmental responsibility, social responsibility and good corporate governance. We believe that operating sustainably is the only way for companies to achieve sustainable results over the long term.
Responsible investment is the responsibility of future pensioners
Responsible investment strategy
Elo’s principles of responsible investing and responsibility with regard to investment operations consist of the following areas:
- Responsible operating methods;
- Compliance with international norms;
- The assessment of responsibility as part of the analysis, decision-making and monitoring related to investments;
- Ownership steering and other means of influence.
Main objectives of Elo’s climate strategy
• As an ongoing goal, we strive to ensure that our investments do not involve excessive climate risk. Each year, we calculate and report the carbon footprint of our investment portfolio, and we use the results as part of the assessment of carbon risk.
• Elo joined the Energy Efficiency Agreements for the real estate sector. The savings target for 2017–2025 is a minimum of 7.5 per cent of the annual energy consumption of the properties.