Eligibility for vocational rehabilitation
Elo can support your vocational rehabilitation if:
- You are under your lowest pensionable age;
- There is a risk that you will need to retire with disability pension within the next few years;
- You have several years of professional and work experience;
- Your earnings from the previous five calendar years total at least 36 342.90 euro (in 2020);
- You are not entitled to vocational rehabilitation as the result of an accident or traffic injury; and
- You are working or your work ended a relatively short time ago.
Manage your pension and rehabilitation matters online
In Elo’s Online Pension Service, you can do the following:
- Get an estimate of the rehabilitation allowance.
- Apply for rehabilitation.
- Submit a rehabilitation plan.
- Apply for rehabilitation cost reimbursements.
Vocational rehabilitation methods
A work trial or work coaching
- In your own or a new job.
- Standard duration: 3–6 months.
- Training for a new occupation within the workplace; the employer pays the wages.
- Often includes the teaching of theory at a relevant educational institution.
- Agreed on with a local vocational apprenticeship agency.
Subsistence during rehabilitation
Read more about the possible rehabilitation methods
The work trial requires a preliminary decision of eligibility for vocational rehabilitation as well as a joint agreement signed by the employer, the rehabilitee and Elo.
The work trial can be a paid or unpaid arrangement. It generally lasts 2–3 months, but it can continue, for a justifiable reason, up to a maximum of 6 months.
During the work trial, your working hours may vary between four and eight hours per day. The goal is to increase the working hours gradually up to eight hours as the work trial progresses. If, during the work trial, it becomes apparent that the position is not suitable for your health status, the work trial can be discontinued.
A work trial in a new workplace may be necessary if your employment relationship is no longer valid or your employer no longer has the possibility to offer you tasks that are suitable for your health status.
In terms of ensuring a successful outcome, it is important for the occupational health service to monitor the progress of your work trial.
The business subsidy can also be granted towards the acquisition of work equipment and machinery related to the professional activities in accordance with a specific decision and submitted purchase receipts.
Read more about the benefits that are available during rehabilitation
The rehabilitation allowance is only paid during active periods of rehabilitation.
If you are working, the rehabilitation allowance is paid as a partial rehabilitation allowance.
The rehabilitation increase is paid in addition to the rehabilitation subsidy if Elo supports your active rehabilitation. The amount of the increase is 33% of the rehabilitation subsidy for full months of rehabilitation.
Any rehabilitation-related costs, such as travel and study expenses are reimbursed in accordance with TELA’s recommendations (in Finnish only) >
Generally, the annually confirmed amount is paid as equal instalments in euro for each academic term.
Living expenses for those studying in a municipality other than their home municipality may also be paid.
During an unpaid work trial or work coaching, Elo insures the rehabilitee with occupational accident insurance.
- If you are not eligible for other forms of subsistence
- Equivalent to disability pension
- Can also be paid for a maximum of three months during waiting periods or intervals between active rehabilitation periods or while the rehabilitation plan is being drafted.