Privacy statement for job applicants
Elo processes job applicants’ personal data for the purposes of recruitment and employee selection. We ensure the protection of job applicant’ privacy and process personal data in accordance with currently applicable legislation. This privacy statement describes in more detail the purposes for which Elo processes job applicants’ personal data and how information is processed in connection with recruitment.
Data controller and Data Protection Officer
The data controller for your personal data is Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company (”Elo”), at Revontulentie 7, 02100 Espoo, p. 020 703 50 (switchboard)
Read more about data protection at Elo or get in contact with our Data Protection Officer:
Tuukka Jousi, firstname.lastname@example.org, p. 020 703 50 (switchboard).
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
What personal data do we process about you?
Your personal data is any information that can be linked to you or used to identify you.
Read more about the purposes of processing, personal data categories and legal bases of processing >
During the recruitment process, Elo may become aware of other personal data concerning the job applicant, based on information that the job applicants provide voluntarily. Elo does not require such other personal data in connection with the recruitment process and. As a rule, Elo does not retain such personal data, unless it is included, for example, in application forms filled in by the job applicant or in similar documents, and the storing is justified as part of such document.
What are the sources of your personal data?
Elo collects the personal data concerning a job applicant primarily directly from the job applicant. In certain situations, Elo may also collect information about the job applicant from other sources, with the job applicant’s consent or otherwise permitted by law, for example from:
• References provided by the job applicant (such as former employers)
• External recruitment partner
• The service provider conducting aptitude assessment of the job applicant
• Suomen Asiakastieto Oy (personal credit rating)
• Finnish Security and Intelligence Service (security clearance)
Access control and camera surveillance are also performed at Elo’s office premises. More information about personal data processing in connection with access control and camera surveillance can be found here.
To whom is your personal data transferred or disclosed?
Information is only disclosed to third parties when the recipient has the right, by law, to receive information from Elo, or in exceptional circumstances upon consent of the data subject, for example to protect the rights of the job applicant and others.
Elo also uses trusted external service providers in recruitment, including outsourced aptitude assessment providers and an electronic recruitment system provider.
Will your data be transferred outside Europe?
Personal data is primarily processed within the EU/EEA. In certain circumstances, personal data may also be technically processed outside the EU/EEA. We use a recruitment system provided by an external service provider in the recruitment process, where personal data is transferred outside European Union to the United States due to the technical solutions. Personal data is appropriately protected by pseudonymisation and EU standard contractual clauses and is only used to fulfil Elo’s recruitment process.
How long do we retain your data?
We retain your personal data only as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes set out in this privacy statement or in accordance statutory retention periods, after which the data will be deleted. We retain the information collected in recruitment for up to two years from the hiring decision. The personal credit rating data, drug test results and/or security clearance data of job applicants is not retained after such data has been checked. The applications from non-selected applicants and open applications received by Elo will be retained for 13 months based on a legitimate interest.
What are your rights as a data subject?
You have the rights provided by data protection law to the personal data processed at Elo.
• Right to access data: You have the right to know what information Elo is processing about you. You also have the right to receive a copy of the data that is being processed as well as the necessary information related to the data processing.
• Right to rectify information: You have the right to have inaccurate, outdated, or incomplete information about yourself rectified or supplemented.
• Right to deletion of data: You have the right to request the deletion of information concerning you under certain conditions. Personal data may be deleted, for example, if it is no longer needed for the original processing purposes or if you object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing. Please note that despite of your request, Elo may have to continue processing your information, for example to comply with legal obligations, when it will not be possible to delete the data.
• Right to restrict processing: In certain situations, you have the right to demand that the processing of your personal data is restricted so that Elo only has the right to retain such personal data. You can for example request that the processing of your information is restricted for the period of the investigation, if you consider that the information about you is inaccurate or the accuracy needs to be further investigated.
• Right to request data to be transferred to another system: If the processing of your personal data is based on consent or contract, you have the right to have your data transferred to another data controller. The right of transfer applies to data that you have provided to Elo yourself and that is stored in an electronic information system. If technically possible, data controller must transfer your information directly to another controller.
• Right to object processing: In certain situations, you have the right to object processing of your personal data if the processing is not based on legal obligation or contract.
• Automated decisions, including profiling: You have the right not to be subject of a decision that is based solely on automated processing, such as profiling, which has legal or other significant effects on you.
If you would like to exercise your rights, please submit an identifiable written request to Elo’s Data Protection Officer via email (email@example.com) or by mailing Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company, Data Protection Officer, 00041 Elo. Please note that you will need to prove your identity before the request is fulfilled, so please include your up-to-date contact details in the request.
Elo will respond to requests without undue delay, in any case within one month of receipt of the request. The provided information and actions based on the data subjects’ requests are primarily free of charge, unless the requests are manifestly unfounded, unreasonable, or repetitive, in which case Elo may also refuse to fulfil the request on these grounds.
If you suspect that your personal data has been processed in breach of data protection law, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority, Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman, P.O. Box 800, 00531 Helsinki or www.tietosuoja.fi.